Learning the skills to help your child thrive in kindy.
We offer a school readiness group for children entering kindergarten. This group typically runs in school holidays at our Frenchs Forest or Forestville centres.
What are school readiness skills:
- Pre-literacy skills (to help your child read and spell next year)
- Sound and letter awareness
- Playing with syllables
- Following instructions
- Book reading foundations
- Talking about your day
- Making friends
- Learning resilience
- Clear speech sounds
What is School Readiness?
School Readiness describes the skills a child needs to start school well. Starting school is an exciting step in every child’s development. It can also be a big step in every parent’s development! Common questions parents have about their child’s school readiness might be…
- How will they go making new friends?
- Are they emotionally ready for big playgrounds and lots of kids?
- Will they be able to follow a teacher’s instructions?
- My child still makes pronunciation mistakes, what happens if they can’t be understood?
- Are their language skills age-appropriate? Will they be able to ask the questions they need to?
- What are literacy skills should they have before they start?
- How young is too young?
School Readiness summaries these questions and concerns into four areas. Speech Development, Receptive Language, Expressive Language and Pre-literacy skills. These four areas are targeted in our School Readiness Group to assist children with their massive transition from preschool to Kindy.